We are all used to cooking with vegetables, yet generally view them merely as a necessary, sometimes even boring accompaniment, to meat or fish. Yet what if with the application of a few simple techniques, the humble vegetable could be transformed into the star of the show instead of the supporting act?
Take an aubergine for example, when cooked over an open flame it magically becomes more than the sum of its parts, smoky, succulent and unctuous. A Jerusalem artichoke roasted in its skin and then lovingly basted in butter blossoms into a gorgeous nutty, luxurious delight.
Then there’s the parts we routinely waste, carrot tops make a fabulous pesto, fennel fronds are a delightful fresh garnish with a hint of aniseed, toasted butternut squash seeds add a delicious nutty crunch to a salad. Let’s not forget either the great world cuisines that place vegetables at the heart of any feast, from India through to the Middle East and beyond, subtle use of spices can elevate any vegetable based dish to flavoursome new levels.
There’s a wealth of ferments, pickles and chutneys that can be whipped up from a diverse range of veggies. In this series of classes we will create elegant seasonal dishes, showcasing a range of techniques and flavours that will hit all of the flavour bombs- sweet, sour, salty, spicy and umami.
Our first class will showcase spring vegetables and dishes will include a selection from:-
- Zaalouk with pan fried halloumi
- Spiced cauliflower soup, cauliflower bhaji, jalapeño oil
- Slow cooked aubergines, tamarind, roasted onion, white bean purée
- Fennel seed pappardelle, griddled courgettes, basil and lemon
- Baked eggs with tadka greens
- Bombay potato croquettes, lemon crème fraiche, tomato chutney
- Hasselback parsnips with carrot top pesto
- Spring salad- wild garlic tahini, grilled spring onions, pea and broad bean salsa, pickled onion with lemon confit
- Rhubarb panna cotta, poached rhubarb, little almond cakes
A first for the Jericho Kitchen and a class we hope to run and run – let’s make the veg the hero!!